Re: Ambiguity and 4.5 Aggregate Query (and screw case)

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 12:41:26PM -0400, Simon Raboczi wrote:

> On 30/06/2004, at 8:30, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

It seems that a query service that's asked to select from multiple
sources (that themselves can service queries) can:
  relay: send the entire query to each source.
  aggregate: perform the query on the union of the sources.
  federate: send pieces of the query to different sources according
	    to a priori knowledge or targets in the query.

Relaying is the most scalable. Aggregation is the most like the user
experience that the semantic web promises. Federation can compete with
both, but is more complicated to write into a query.

I'm personally keen on providing the user with the ability to target
parts of the query because I believe that users will often know which
data comes from, say, IMBD, and which comes from CDDB [1].

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JanMar/0131.html
--
-eric

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520
                        JAPAN
cell:   +1.857.222.5741 (does not work in Asia)

(eric@w3.org)
email address distribution.