Re: Ambiguity and 4.5 Aggregate Query (and screw case)

From: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:17:44 -0400
To: "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org>
Cc: public-rdf-dawg@w3.org

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 07:03:24AM -0400, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> [[
> 4.5 Aggregate Query
>
> It should be possible to specify two or more RDF graphs against which
> a query shall be executed; that is, the result of an aggregate query
> is the merge of the results of executing the query on each of two or
> more graphs.
> ]]
>
> This states that we perform the query on each of the (two or more)
> graphs. My intuition is that we want to perform the query on the
> aggregation of the graphs. For instance,

> Maybe this was already decided in favor of the former; I don't recall.

We discussed this originally, as I recall. Aggregate, then query is
distinct from query separately, aggregate results. I called what
you're proposing "union query". Again, as I recall the discussion,
there was more support for aggregate query than union query.

Alas, I'm too lazy just now to hunt in the archives to confirm my
memory.

Kendall Clark