RE: RDF QLs within a larger language

From: Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:37:38 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>
Cc: public-rdf-dawg@w3.org

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> I wasn't thinking of having a controlled flow - just a simple, single TCP
> stream.

I expected that. And hence I see no fundamental benefit of ordering on
granule/request/reply level for the protocol itself.

Now on implementation:

> rows.  Think SAX for result rows.
..cut..
> Now the client can incrementally parse this and generate each row of the
..cut..
> As I said, it is not a good idea :-) - it only saves the client from having
> to have such a parser.

You argue for a certain type of parser which may have a certain benefit in
a certain case. I'd suggest that if that is important in a certain case
(and I am sure there are others) then:

> Better to have an explicitly streamable format and
> ask for it by MIME type as there is so much custom server and client code.

with some sort of Accept or alike hinting.

Dw