Re: Use Case: Searching for educational learning materials

On Jun 19, 2004, at 9:04 AM, Kendall Clark wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 11:28:38AM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
>
>>> SELECT ?x
>>> FROM <graph>
>>> WHERE
>>>       (foo, rdfs:label, ?x) and
>>>       (?x, xml:lang, "jp")
>>>
>>> That last bit isn't really in the graph (?), but I can't think of a
>>> syntax for filter on literals.
>>
>> You could use the N3 syntax, seperating the literal from the datatype
>> and
>> language with ^^ and @, eg.
>>
>> 	(foo, rdfs:label, ?x@jp)
>
> Hmm, that's an idea.

I ran this by our FLA guy as one option from the start. This is
certainly how I would do it in SWI Prolog, at least for the common
case.

The other possibility was having a filter predicate for AND clauses
(e.g., langEq). The latter was prefered.

[snip]
> I think Yoshio mentioned something back in the early days of the WG
> about being sensitive to i18n issues, which this feature request
> does. (If anyone needs to hear a use case, I can provide one related
> to task computing in multilingual environments.)

Or portals, or even ontology browsers. Anything that makes significant
use of rdfs:label and wants to internationalize.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.