Re: Use Case: Searching for educational learning materials

From: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:02:01 -0400
To: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:42:35AM +0100, Dave Beckett wrote:
>   Free text searching of literals
>
>   It should be possible to perform free text searches of RDF literals
>   in the query.  Free text search at the minimum means allowing
>   substring searches of literals or could include more powerful
>   matches such as regexs or full-blown matches with stemming etc.

I think we need some more discussion of this issue. A related issue
came up the other day, a use case from the guys at Fujitsu Labs of
America (who're doing interesting stuff w/ SW and services). They want
to be able from DAWG QL to query the 'metadata of literals' -- an
awkward phrase, but I'm not sure how else to put it.

They want, in other words, to be able to query, say, the xml:lang of a
literal. Something like:

SELECT ?x
FROM <graph>
WHERE
      (foo, rdfs:label, ?x) and
      (?x, xml:lang, "jp")

That last bit isn't really in the graph (?), but I can't think of a
syntax for filter on literals.

Kendall