RE: toward an intial design... any more evaluations?

> So... I owe the WG a ftf agenda 2 weeks before our 14-15 Jul
> meeting, i.e. around 1 July. I'd like to have all the initial
> design candidates in that agenda. So if there's a design
> that you'd like the WG to consider that hasn't been evaluated,
> get it evalutated! (recall that we're looking for evaluations
> by someone _other_ than the designer).

Dan,

Whoa, you've really caught me off guard here. My understanding (from my own
minutes of May 25 :  "AGENDUM: Refine requirements by evaluating designs"
[1]) was that the purpose of our doing evaluations was to get real-world
feedback to better inform our requirements work. It now sounds like you're
saying that the evaluations are also going to be part of a gating process to
determine which designs get considered at the f2f. Is that correct? If
that's the case and you announced that earlier, I missed it.

This is germane to me because I've been quietly working away on an
implementation of my XQuery ideas under the assumption, in lieu of other
information, that I'd be able to present a working prototype to the group
and have it evaluated right at the f2f. I think it's unlikely I'll have
enough functionality in place to warrant an evaluation much before then (tho
it's not impossible), since I'm still madly designing as I go.

I'd hate to miss this opportunity to demonstrate live what I think a
transmogrified XQuery can do for RDF (particularly since I made such a
balls-up of it the last time!). I probably should have spoken up earlier but
had assumed that the proper way of announcing my intentions was to request
that this be placed on the agenda once that's posted.

I'm praying to Dawg that the fat lady's got a bad case of strep throat and
won't be warbling for a while ...

Howard

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004AprJun/0479.html