Re: Subgraph results counter-example(s)

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 01:29, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
[...]
> If the data in the KB can be written in RDF and we ask
>
> Q: who is friends with either Eddie or Jane?
> KB: Bob is friends with Eddie.
>     Sue is friends with Eddie or Jane.
>
> the the KB can say, in whatever ontology is appropriate:
>
> A: Bob		Bob friendsWith Eddie.
>    Sue		Sue friendsWith disjunctionA.
> 		disjunctionA leftSide Eddie.
> 		disjunctionA rightSide Jane.

Er... let's please don't do that... that only works if
the friendsWith property knows about leftSide/rightSide.
I've seen RDF data files that assume that
	<book> dc:creator [ a rdf:Bag; rdf:_1 :Eric; rdf:_2 :Dan ].
means the same thing as
	<book> dc:creator :Eric.
	<book> dc:creator :Dan.
but the definition of dc:creator says nothing of the sort.
(I think; if it does, pick a property that doesn't.)

> If the data can't be expressed in RDF, isn't that out of scope? chair?

Well, yes, that's what the charter says, as you pointed out...

> http://www.w3.org/2003/12/swa/dawg-charter#scope
> [[
> The principal task of the RDF Data Access Working Group is to gather
> requirements and to define an HTTP and/or SOAP-based protocol for
> selecting instances of subgraphs from an RDF graph.
> ]]

but presumably the charter says that for good reasons that
(1) motivated the charter writers to put it there
(2) gained support of the AC
(3) gained support of those of us who reviewed the
charter when deciding to participate.

The motivation is clear enough to me. But if a significant
number of WG members want the charter changed, we can look
into that.