Re: Bookmarkable queries

From: Farrukh Najmi <Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:13:12 -0400
To: Rob Shearer <Rob.Shearer@networkinference.com>
Cc: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

Rob Shearer wrote:

>I think requirement 3.8 brings up major questions about just what we
>consider a "query". Does a "query" include a selection of the RDF
>source, or can the same query be executed against different sources?
>(The latter seems much more sensible to me...)
>
>It makes a lot of sense to make clear that a query should be encodable
>as text, and that requirement implicitly means that a query can be
>encoded *within* a URI, but that's a long way from saying that a query
>*is* a URI. The requirement as written conjures notions of new schemes
>and URLs and protocol dependence and all the rest.
>
>At the very very least, I'd suggest changing "...a query as a URI." to
>"...a query within a URI."

One possible way a query could be bookmarked as a URI is as a URI to a
query that is stored in a repository.
The ebXML Registry allows queries to be stored within the server as a
parameterized query. A client can
invoke the query simply by identifying it with a URI and providing
parameters to the query. This is similar
in concept to stored queries in a relational database. If the client
does not provide some parameters then the
ebXML Registry drops the predicates for which parameters are not provided.

The above use case seems to be a combination of:

3.2 Variable Bindings Result, and
3.8 Bookmarkable Queries

Is my interpretation correct?

--