Re: UC&R 1.56

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 11:21:35AM +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> I *think* the req is saying that it can be possible to query the non-iferred
> relationships explicitly.  Does this have to happen in one query expression?

(I was expecting you to say "the inferred relationships
explicitly"...?)

No, it doesn't have to happen in one query expression, but I think
that's ideal; er, as long as by 'query expression' you mean 'one
query'. Err, hmm, what do you mean?

What we'd like is to make it as easy as possible (where easy
may mean something like 'concise' and 'obvious') to do queries for
subclassof, subpropertyof relations and to get at the class tree,
because we have lots of...

> Users who use this include people writing editors and browsers.

Exactly! That's what our lab does more of than anything else.

I'm not sure we really care too much about how the *req* is worded;
or, better put: we care far more about the ultimate design than how
than req is worded. But a language that didn't help our users with
this kind of query would be *very* much less than ideal for them.

Best,
Kendall