Re: UC&R 1.47 (Was: Re: Comments on UseCases v1.46)

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:12:27 +0100
To: public-rdf-dawg@w3.org

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 09:04:03 -0400, Farrukh Najmi wrote:
> 3.10 Result Limits
> I think this requirement should be replaced with a requirement for a
> database cursor like requirement. This is essential for scalability
> according to my experience with ebXML Registry etc.

Cursors are explictly utside the charter:
http://www.w3.org/2003/12/swa/dawg-charter#protocol

but

> 3.10 Iterative Query Support
> The query language or protocol must be able to handle large result sets
> of any size by iterating over the result set and  fetching it in chunks.

this seems reasonable and does not require cursors, per se.

To me the important distinction is that cursors require sone inter-query
state, whereas limit and offset are explictly coded into the query.

- Steve