RE: requirement: rdfs query (for lack of a better name...)

>OK Rob, sounds fine...
>(will sleep over it once more :))
>sounds like a separation of concerns

Right, exactly, and I think its a good separation.

Still, unlike Rob, I think that we could reasonably approach the
'inference issue' by seeing if we can come up with some way for a
query to indicate to a server (sorry I keep using this term, I can't
think of a better one: the engine or entity to which the query is
directed and which checks it against a graph: do we have a name for
this?)  WHICH graph it wants the query to be directed to. Since
'graph' here can be a virtual graph defined partly by inference
closures (and may in fact be infinite in some cases, eg when thinking
seriously about datatyped literals), a simple idea like just having a
URI for each graph, or one graph per server, seems inadequate. So can
we think of a way for a query to indicate which conceptual/virtual
graph it is intended to be evaluated with respect to? For example
(complete straw man) maybe the query could refer to a source listing
a set of rules which the virtual graph is supposed to be closed
under, or some such. Or it could be as coarse as just specifying
plain/rdf/rdfs/datatyped as options, where each of these refers to a
semantic extension and the graph is supposed to be closed under all
inferences which are valid wrt that extension.

Pat

>--
>Jos De Roo, AGFA http://www.agfa.com/w3c/jdroo/
>

>"Rob Shearer" <Rob.Shearer@networkinference.com>
>07/05/2004 01:55
>

>         To:     Jos De_Roo/AMDUS/MOR/Agfa-NV/BE/BAYER@AGFA
>         cc:     <kendall@monkeyfist.com>, <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>,
><public-rdf-dawg-request@w3.org>
>         Subject:        RE: requirement: rdfs query (for lack of a
>better name...)
>

>I'm suggesting that an RDF query language should not specify that the
>triple
>
>:Tony a :SEAFOOD
>
>exists. It's RDFS's job (or OWL's job, or SWRL's job, or something) to
>specify that.
>I'm suggesting that if there is some server sitting somewhere which
>happens to know this fact somehow (whether it derived it from RDF+RDFS
>or from somewhere else), then you should be able to query it.

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell