Requirement on XSD datatypes

From: Seaborne, Andy <andy.seaborne@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 18:00:35 +0100
To: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

The current requirements section is a list of "candidate requirements" not a
complete list of all we will cover.  Rather than requirement 3.7, which
names calls out date and time datatypes, I suggest we include a requirement
to identify a core set of XSD datatypes that implementations will support.

At the F2F, we had just before the date/time requirement:

"""
 * Queries supporting datatypes xsd:integer and xsd:float with operations:
less than, equal, greater than [DATATYPES-IF]
"""

which we didn't explicitly vote on (its not recorded anyway).

I am neutral as to whether we should identify any datatypes now.  If it is a
matter of debate, let's not and leave space for a debate, including liaising
with other groups.  If we do identify some datatypes now, and I'm not an XSD
expert, I suggest some numeric types and string at least.  Maybe a mention
of date/time.  (I would prefer to see date/time in the final recommendation
as users ask for them but date/time is not trivial.)

Suggestion:

3.7 Support for XSD Datatypes

The query language design must identify a set of XSD datatypes and
operations on these datatypes.  Test case of queries involving datatype
operations will be developed.