Re: Potential Requirement: Predicate support with boolean operators

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 15:41, Farrukh Najmi wrote:
> I have been scanning the list archives wondering how much discussion has
> occurred on having a requirement to support
> predicates with boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT).
>
> What I find is that there has been a few postings that talk about
> Negation or Conjunction or Disjunction support as potential use cases or
> requirements.
>
> However, when I read the latest Use Cases and Requirements draft I do
> not believe I see a requirement that focuses explicitly on
> supporting multiple predicates in the query syntax that can be combined
> using boolean operators. Is this an explicit omission or
> has it just been missed?

I'm not sure. In the postings you have seen, is there a particular
phrasing of the requirement that appeals to you?

It's entirely possible that there is a requirement that the WG
would support but nobody has managed to write it down yet.

FYI, the implementations I am familiar with have limited support
for disjunction and negation: limited to comparing
datatype values.

Perhaps some of the implementors would like to relate
their experience?

>  If explicitly dropped as a requirement can
> anyone explain the rationale for the decision. Thanks for your
> help.
see you at the WWW2004 in NY 17-22 May?