RE: UC&R draft: 1.31

From: Seaborne, Andy <andy.seaborne@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 10:35:33 +0100
To: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

From the May 4 telecon agenda:

> 3. Use cases draft status
>   http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/UseCases
>   $Revision: 1.26 $ or better
> ACTION: AndyS, EricP to review kendallC draft by 4 May telcon

I have read through v1.32 (I had already read v1.25 and sent Kendall minor
wording changes).  I have few comments on the document and think it is in
very good shape.

Some comments:

= UC/Requirements relationahip =

DanC contributed:
A list of technical requirements has been extracted from the use cases, a
list that describes the critical features a standard RDF query language and
data access protocol should possess.
to the introduction.  We generated requirements (4.1-4.10) by a different
route but I think they are reasonably justified given the use cases.  I
wouldn't expect a direct match between the UCs and requirments, just a
reasonable connection.  The matching will always be arguable; I think we
should also be clear that the requriments do not form an exhaustive set of

= Use case intro =

[[[ http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/UseCases#uc
3. Use cases

Each use case describes a concrete application of future technology
recommendation, setting a user-oriented context in which the query language
or protocol or both are used to solve a real problem.

We were going to have text more like the OWL requirments doc:

[[[ http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-webont-req-20040210/
one should not assume that OWL will directly support every aspect of the use

that made it clear we are not completely solving the use cases but providing
technology for them.

= Requirements =

One area we have had a lot of discussion on is the "tell me about" query -
where the result form is not determined by the query itself.  This is
covered in UC 3.2 (Motorcycle parts) I think (it is arguable).

Explicitly including this, or explicitly rejecting it, as a requirement
would make thing clearer to the wider community.  We may not have time
before publication.

= Typos =
I wasn't looking specifically for these but I noticed:
3.2-para-2: s/receive/receive/
3.3-para-3: s/contain/contains/
3.5-para-2: s/^But his/His/
3.8-para-1: Elsewhere uses em rules (em dashes) so s/ -- /&mdash;/
4.10 title: s/\.//

= Feedback =

A link to where feedback should go.  My preference is that we have a
separate comments mailing list to gather the feedback.  Having this running
before we publish would be good.