Re: PS-16: Regular Expression Comparison of Datatype Lexical Forms

From: Janne Saarela <janne.saarela@profium.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 10:43:54 +0300
To: public-rdf-dawg@w3.org
Cc: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>

Is this use case as generic as I think it is?

For example, if the data type is XSD#dateTime and I was
looking for *2*, I would be matching both lexical forms

I am not sure this is a necessary use case.
I would agree regular expressions are useful for some
datatypes such as strings but not for all of them such as

> A client wishes to discover resources which for a given property
> have datatype values having lexical forms which match a particular
> regular expression, and obtain descriptions of those resources.
> The client is aware of a source of knowledge from
> which such resources might be discovered.
> Following the DAWG recommendation, the client formulates a
> query which describes one or more example templates which
> reflect the desired characteristics and submits the query
> to the knowledge source.
> The knowledge source returns a set of zero or more
> resource descriptions, each description describing a
> resource which matched an example template.
> --
> Patrick Stickler
> Nokia, Finland
> patrick.stickler@nokia.com

Janne Saarela <janne.saarela at profium.com>
Profium, Lars Sonckin kaari 12, 02600 Espoo, Finland