Requirement: queries written as RDF

From: Rob Shearer <Rob.Shearer@networkinference.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:30:46 -0800
To: <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

I'd like some clarification of just what we're trying to get at from
this requirement.

Are we saying that we want queries to fit into the RDF/XML syntax? I'd
like clarification on just what users and use cases benefit from such a
syntax. My experience is that forcing RDF/XML syntax just makes it damn
near impossible for humans to compose a document without lots of help
from tools. If queries are being generated automatically, most software
systems are pretty agnostic just what their output syntax is, so I don't
see RDF representations as helping them much, either.

Are we saying that we want queries to fit the RDF data model? If so, I
don't think it's met trivially, since just about anything can be
translated into RDF--that's the whole point of RDF.

Or are we saying that given some chunk of RDF, there should be some
sensible query connotation that it invokes? Is this a roundabout way of
getting back to entailment as an independent query--i.e. here's some
RDF; does it necessarily follow from the source I'm querying?