Re: SPARQL 1.0.3 and EBNF gems released

On Mar 5, 2013, at 11:43 PM, "Polleres, Axel" <axel.polleres@siemens.com> wrote:

> Hi Gregg,
>
> To clarify: if I understand your comment correctly, you confirm that the rules in the spec are
> correct, but they don't work out-of-the box with the LL parser you are using.

Yes, but it may be that I have an overly strict understanding of how the FIRST set for SolutionModifier is created in this particular case. I raised it only as a point of interest, not to claim that the grammar is incorrect, just that from my understanding, it may fall outside of the strict definition of LL(1) table generation rules.

> The "fix" you propose for your implementation seems reasonable and preserve the intended meaning.

Andy points out that this generates a conflict, which is probablly true, but I think it is only of a theoretical nature.

> As far as I understand it, this is an implementation issue (in the sense that the spec needs
> to guarantee the correct and unambiguous meaning, rather than providing a grammar that works with
> specific parsers out-of-the box, such that your comment fits in my humble opinion better
> to the public-sparql-dev@w3.org list (in the sense that it might be useful information for other
> implementers), so I took the freedom to cc: that list.

Fair enough. From my understanding, it's not strictly required that W3C EBNF grammars be LL(1), but it is probably a best practice. The fact that (also from my perspective) it comes as far as it does, and the remaining issue (in my specific case) is debatable, makes this a non-issue.

Other developers may benefit from this analysis, but I suspect that most rely on more sophisticated tool chains, such as JavaCC or YACC, and that this issue may not be of consequence to them.

> While this is a personal reply rather than an official group reply,
> please let us know whether this addresses you concern.

Thanks, the dev list probably would have been better, as it's not a formal concern about the spec, but really more of an implementation consideration. I don't think the WG need take any further action.

Gregg