Suggestion on modifying update in SPARQL 1.1.

From: Nikolai Anissimov <anisimov@fiztech-usa.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:39:04 -0700 (PDT)
To: public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org
 Hello,

I'm reading a proposal SPARQL 1.1/Update (http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/update-1.1/gen.html#t413).
My impression is that DELETE/INSERT construct is incomplete. I suggest to add to this construct SELECT. It will use the same WHERE as DELETE and INSERT simultaneously. One could use it for returning results about execution of update which are intreseted for application.
Now the construct will look like:

# UPDATE outline syntax : general form:
[ WITH<uri>  ]
SELECT {...}
DELETE { modify_template [ modify_template ]* }
INSERT { modify_template [ modify_template ]* }
WHERE GroupGraphPattern

One can specify what was added/deleted to RDF database.
One more benefit is it would clarify what to return back after updating.

Reagards,
Nikolay Anisimov
Software Architect at FrontRange Solutions
Email: anisimov@computer.org