Comment on SPARQL 1.1 Uniform HTTP Protocol

From: Rob Vesse <rav08r@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:39:53 +0100
To: <public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org>

Hi all

I've been looking over the latest drafts and the Uniform HTTP
Protocol has a feature missing which I'd rather like to see in it which is
the ability to delete individual triples from a Graph.

While the POST
command will allow for the appending of triples to a Graph there is no
means to remove triples from a Graph short of doing a DELETE on the Graph
and then a PUT to load the new version. I realise that the removal of
triples is somewhat trickier from an implementation point of view because
of blank nodes but this feature would surely be useful to end users?

see there's been some discussion about whether the new PATCH verb should be
incorporated into the protocol and I would suggest that this might be a
possible use for the verb (though I know some members of the WG are
advocating using it in place of POST for additive updates)

Rob Vesse

PhD Student
IAM Group
Bay 20, Room 4027, Building 32