Re: SPARQL paths and N3 paths: some quick thoughts.

On 27/01/2010 6:59 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:
> I should have copied the comments list last Friday when I started this
> thread...
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cwm-talk/2010JanMar/0002.html

Dan,

Thank you for pointing out the thread on public-cwm-talk.

On the specific issue of character use, the property paths draft follows
N3 in using ^ for backwards paths. It uses "/" for forward paths. The
"!" character is used in filter functions in SPARQL as the "not"
operator. That does not preclude the use of "!" in property paths
although it does carry a very different meaning. On balance, the working
group feels that "/" is more appropriate.

By the way, we have also received a comment [1] that makes a suggestion
for describing sets of properties by exclusion.

In [2] there is discussion of including expressions in N3. Property
paths already use * and + for their regex meanings.  Adding expressions
as well overloads several characters so possibly requiring syntax to
delimit an expression.

Andy
on behalf of the SPARQL Working Group

[1]