Re: Feedback on SPARQL 1.1 support for aggregates (was Re: W3C Seeks Feedback on Early Draft of SPARQL 1.1)

Hi Emanuele,

before giving official response to you from the WG,
<chairhat-off>
let me ask some clarifying questions <chairhat-off>
for my better understanding:

1)

If I get it right, AGGREGATE {var  FUNCTION vars )

i) projects first groups wrt variables appearing in vars and then
ii)  evaluates the aggregate on the those groups ...

That may make sense for count, but how does that work for
min/max, i.e. where is the projection ?

   hmmm... actually it seems the grammar given for FUNCTION is wrong...
   it should be

    Function | Function '(' var ')'
  or
    Function | Function '(' vars ')'

2) On the following examples...

SELECT ?name ?surname ?book ?numberOfBooks ?averageNumberOfBooks
WHERE {
    ?auth :name ?name .
    ?auth :surname ?surname .
    ?auth :wrote ?book .
    ?auth :affiliated ?organization .
}
AGGREGATE { (?numberOfBooks, COUNT, {?auth} ) FILTER (?numberOfBooks > 5) }
AGGREGATE { (?affiliationBooks, SUM(?numberOfBooks), {?organization} )
FILTER (?affiliationBooks > 50)}

here, it seems that ?affiliationBooks violates the constraint you pose before:

"In the C-SPARQL language all the variables used in AGGREGATE clauses
must appear also in the SELECT clause, since aggregation happens after
standard SPARQL query evaluation. In SPARQL 1.1 the constraint is not
specified."

I assume you mean the constraint only to apply to  the variables mentioned in the function and
group part?

Also, I'd like to see the result table for this.

3) also, it seems to me that your SPARQL1.1 formulation of this one

SELECT ?topic ?numberOfSwissAuthors ?numberOfItalianAuthors
WHERE {
    ?auth :name ?name .
    ?auth :wrote ?book .
    ?book :topic ?topic .
    ?auth :hasNationality ?nat .
}
AGGREGATE { FILTER(?nat = 'IT') (?numberOfItalianAuthors, COUNT,
{?topic} ) }
AGGREGATE { FILTER(?nat = 'CH') (?numberOfSwissAuthors, COUNT, {?topic}
) FILTER(?numberOfItalianAuthors>?numberOfSwissAuthors)}

has some errors... e.g. why is the triple outside the subselects

 ?auth :hasName ?name .

and you proejct auth?
Wouldn't you want to project the ?topic instead?

Axel
</chairhat-off>