RE: SPARQL 1.1: project expressions and type errors

Yes - this is one of issue that needs to be nailed down.  We need to go for a consistent error handling approach with, say, aggregates.  Another choice - fail the whole query - would seem out of keeping.  For me, your choice (2) accords closely with errors in FILTERs.

 Andy