Re: Missing LET (Assignment) in SPARQL 1.1

Thanks, Lee. I appreciate you taking the time to assemble all this
information.

I have made some experiments with the proposal to use sub-selects plus
project expressions in a random sample of some of my typical queries.
You can see three cases below. Without understanding all implications
from a SPARQL engine and algebra point of view, my impression is that
the mapping appears to be straight forward, but that it leads to very
verbose code. And I did not even try to find the really bad cases.

I am therefore wondering whether LET can be introduced as syntactic
sugar similar to some of the new OWL 2 extensions that do not change
the semantics but only provide additional mappings from syntax to
semantics - this is hopefully easier to manage for the WG?

Thanks,
Holger

----

 From the currency conversion example on my blog

http://composing-the-semantic-web.blogspot.com/2009/09/currency-conversion-with-units-ontology.html

The original current query is

SELECT ?newLiteral
WHERE {
     LET (?fromCurrency := datatype(?arg1)) .
     LET (?rate := currencies:getRateByCurrencies(?fromCurrency, ?
arg2)) .
     LET (?fromValue := xsd:double(?arg1)) .
     LET (?newValue := (?fromValue * ?rate)) .
     LET (?newLiteral := smf:cast(?newValue, ?arg2)) .
}

Using nested queries with well-meaning formatting would create
something like

SELECT ?newLiteral
WHERE {
	{
		SELECT (datatype(?arg1) AS ?fromCurrency) (xsd:double(?arg1) AS ?
fromValue) WHERE {}
	}
	{
     		SELECT (currencies:getRateByCurrencies(?fromCurrency, ?arg2)
AS ?rate) WHERE {}
	}
	{
		SELECT ((?fromValue * ?rate) AS ?newValue) WHERE {}
	}
	{
		SELECT (smf:cast(?newValue, ?arg2) AS ?newLiteral) WHERE {}
	}
}

Using a single expression would be

SELECT (smf:cast((xsd:double(?arg1) * currencies:getRateByCurrencies
(datatype(?arg1), ?arg2)), ?arg2) AS ?newLiteral)
WHERE {
}

The example is a bit atypical because it exclusively uses LETs, and
not even a triple match. It also uses externally pre-bound variables.
But still it gives some insights.

---

In the following function body, project expressions work actually ok,
but keep fingers crossed that you do not have to return multiple of
such computed values in the SELECT:

SELECT ?value
WHERE {
     ?arg2 qud:conversionMultiplier ?M1 .
     ?arg2 qud:conversionOffset ?O1 .
     ?arg3 qud:conversionMultiplier ?M2 .
     ?arg3 qud:conversionOffset ?O2 .
     LET (?value := ((((?arg1 * ?M1) + ?O1) - ?O2) / ?M2)) .
}

would become

SELECT (((((?arg1 * ?M1) + ?O1) - ?O2) / ?M2) AS ?value)
WHERE {
     ?arg2 qud:conversionMultiplier ?M1 .
     ?arg2 qud:conversionOffset ?O1 .
     ?arg3 qud:conversionMultiplier ?M2 .
     ?arg3 qud:conversionOffset ?O2 .
}

---

Here is an example from the SPIN box computer game, using LET in
SPARQL rules. This is a very typical use case actually:

# Rule1: Collect and replace diamond if possible
CONSTRUCT {
     ?diamond spinbox:replaceWith spinbox:Space .
     ?world boulders:diamondsCollected ?newDiamondsCount .
}
WHERE {
     ?world spinbox:field ?this .
     ?world spinbox:keyDirection ?direction .
     LET (?diamond := spinbox:getNeighbor(?this, ?direction)) .
     ?diamond a boulders:Diamond .
     ?world spinbox:field ?this .
     ?world boulders:diamondsCollected ?oldDiamondsCount .
     LET (?newDiamondsCount := (?oldDiamondsCount + 1)) .
}

This would become

# Rule1: Collect and replace diamond if possible
CONSTRUCT {
     ?diamond spinbox:replaceWith spinbox:Space .
     ?world boulders:diamondsCollected ?newDiamondsCount .
}
WHERE {
     ?world spinbox:field ?this .
     ?world spinbox:keyDirection ?direction .
	{
		SELECT (spinbox:getNeighbor(?this, ?direction) AS ?diamond)
		WHERE {
		}
	}
     ?diamond a boulders:Diamond .
     ?world spinbox:field ?this .
     ?world boulders:diamondsCollected ?oldDiamondsCount .
	{
     		SELECT ((?oldDiamondsCount + 1) AS ?newDiamondsCount)
		WHERE {
		}
	}
}