Re: Another attempt...

Andrew, I feel like I'm running in circles chasing my tail! I've chosen
here to focus on one very specific part of your response to try one last
time to find out whether you are disagreeing with the SPARQL design or
whether you believe the specification to be an incomplete description of
the language design.

Andrew Newman wrote:
> On 19/03/2008, Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net> wrote:
>> Andrew Newman wrote:

>>  > The results don't make sense with respect to JOIN identity (which is
>>  > defined in the SPARQL specification).  Unless SPARQL is creating its
>>  > own algebra (if it is it has a lot of explaining to do - which I'm
>>  > happy to read) and is ignoring existing set and/or bag algebra then
>>  > the current results being returned by most/all SPARQL implementations
>>  > is wrong.
>>

>> Again, are you saying wrong in the sense of:
>>
>>  1) the implementations do not abide by the SPARQL specification, or
>>  2) the implementations abide by the specification, which is not the
>>  results you'd desire to see?
>>

> So while the specification has gone a long way to try and be enough to
> create an implementation by itself I don't think it's quite there yet.
>  There's pre-requisite knowledge that is not in the specification.

This part _seems_ to indicate to me that you believe there to be at
least one query and RDF dataset for which the SPARQL specification is
not sufficient to determine what results an implementation should
return. Could you please provide such a query, a dataset for the query,
and the point at which you see an ambiguity in the specification as to
how to evaluate the query against the dataset? (I understand that you
may be saying that this applies to a large class of queries & datasets;
I'm only asking for one example, please.)

Lee