Re: SPARQL Protocol: application/sparql-query requests

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Kendall Clark wrote:
>> That text appears in an informative section of the document only (all
>> the examples are marked as informative), so
>> there is no implication whatever that posting SPARQL syntax docs is
>> "a bad thing".
>>
>> There are several features or aspects of several examples that are
>> not necessarily specified but are given so as to
>> make the examples more realistic, or more reflective of best
>> practice, etc. None of those are discussed explicitly
>> because they are not germane to the specification normative sections.
>
> I don't understand your response. I did not cite any specific text or
> example of the specification; I am asking why using
>
>   POST /sparql/ HTTP/1.1
>   Host: www.example

> is good, and using
>
>   POST /sparql/ HTTP/1.1
>   Host: www.example

> is not so good. I said that this seems to be a bad thing because the
> interface does not allow it and because "The queryHttpGet binding should
> be used except in cases where the URL-encoded query exceeds practical
> limits, in which case the queryHttpPost binding should be used." To be
> yet more precise, why
>
>    <operation ref="tns:query" wsdlx:safe="true" whttp:method="POST"
>       whttp:inputSerialization="application/x-www-form-urlencoded,
>                                 application/xml" ...
>
> and not
>
>    <operation ref="tns:query" wsdlx:safe="true" whttp:method="POST"
>       whttp:inputSerialization="application/x-www-form-urlencoded,
>                                 application/sparql-query,
>                                 application/xml" ...
>
> ?

Bjoern, we have been doing some research [1] into this issue and did not
come up with a reasonable solution to your request yet. I have emailed
the WS-description WG asking them for advice [2] and am waiting to hear
back from them. At the moment, there is not much we can do, but if you
have any new insights, we are all ears. Once I get a response from the
WSDL WG, I will post the list with the updates so please stay tuned.

-Elias

[1]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2007JanMar/0112
[2]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-desc-comments/2007Mar/0009.html