Re: example in current cand. rec....

Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> [...]

What I meant by copy-paste-error was why here (and also in the second
example below) the first pattern is repeated twice, not that there are
two forms of he algebra. ie. this should be:

     LeftJoin(
          Join(Z, BGP(?s :p1 ?v1)),
          Join(Z, BGP(?s :p2 ?v2)) ),

instead... right?

>  >      true)
>  > LeftJoin(BGP(?s :p1 ?v1), BGP(?s :p2 ?v2), true)
>  > ---------
>  >
>  > ---------
>  > Example: group consisting of a basic graph pattern and an optional
>  > graph pattern with a filter:
>  >
>  > { ?s :p1 ?v1 OPTIONAL {?s :p2 ?v2 FILTER(?v1<3) } }
>  >
>  > LeftJoin(
>  >       Join(Z, BGP(?s :p1 ?v1)),
>  >       Join(Z, BGP(?s :p1 ?v1)),

same here:

            Join(Z, BGP(?s :p2 ?v2)),

for the second one.

>  >       (?v1<3) )
>  > LeftJoin(
>  >      BGP(?s :p1 ?v1) ,
>  >      BGP(?s :p2 ?v2) ,
>  >     (?v1<3) )
>  > -----------
>  >
>  > these two examples seem to have some copy-paste-errors, yes?
>
> Some of the examples show two forms of the algebra with and without the
> empty graph removal step as noted at the start of 12.2.2:
>
> """The second form of a rewrite example is the first with empty group
> joins removed by step 5."""
>
> We could change the styling to make this clearer.
>
>  >
>  > 2) Another question concerning FILTERs in OPTIONALS (I checked this
>  > with http://www.sparql.org/validator.html)
>  >
>  > Please just verify: It is indeed true that
>  >
>  > SELECT ?N ?M WHERE { ?X foaf:name ?N . ?X :age ?Age .
>  > OPTIONAL { ?X foaf:mbox ?M. FILTER(?Age > 30) } }
>  >
>  >
>  > is equivalent to
>  >
>  > SELECT ?N ?M WHERE { ?X foaf:name ?N . ?X :age ?Age .
>  > OPTIONAL { { ?X foaf:mbox ?M. FILTER(?Age > 30) } } }
>
> They are equivalent but the reason may not be straight forward.
>
> The inner most ?X foaf:mbox ?M. FILTER(?Age > 30) becomes:
>
> (filter (> ?Age 30)
>         (BGP [triple ?X :foaf#mbox ?M]))
>
> a group of one element, say group(A), becomes join(Z, A) which is turned
> into A (step 5).  So groups of one element are eliminated in the query
> string to algebra rewrite process.  That brings the filter within the
> condition of the LeftJoin.
>
>  >
>  > but
>  >
>  > SELECT ?N ?M WHERE { ?X foaf:name ?N . ?X :age ?Age .
>  > OPTIONAL { ?X foaf:name ?N . { ?X foaf:mbox ?M. FILTER(?Age > 30) } }
> }
>  >
>  > is not semantically equivalent, yes?
>
> It is a different algebra expression; specifically, it does not place
> the filter in the LeftJoin condition.

Yes, this is what I conjectured.

thanx,
axel