Unexpected DISTINCT?

From: Richard Newman <rnewman@franz.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 23:27:53 -0800
To: public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org

DAWG,

   I have an implementation question for which I cannot find an
answer in the spec.

   Given a SELECT query for which some results are duplicated, and
which does not specify DISTINCT, is it acceptable for an
implementation to return DISTINCT (or partially DISTINCT) results?

   This is exercised by <http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/tests/