open-world/data-n tests incorrect?

From: Arjohn Kampman <arjohn.kampman@aduna-software.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:34:01 +0200
To: public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org

Dear working group,

I'm currently evaluating Sesame's compliance against the current set of
approved sparql test cases. Sesame fails on the openworld/date-1 and
date-2 tests, but I'm not 100% that Sesame is in error here. Sesame and
the test cases treat comparisons between timezoned and non-timezoned
dates differently. My reading of the XML Schema Datatypes spec is that
timezoned and non-timezoned dates cannot simply be compared to
oneanother, but this is exactly what the test cases do. Quoting section

   "dateTime value objects on either timeline are totally ordered by
   their timeOnTimeline values; between the two timelines, dateTime value
   objects are ordered by their timeOnTimeline values when their
   timeOnTimeline values differ by more than fourteen hours, with those
   whose difference is a duration of 14 hours or less being
   incomparable." -- http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime-order

With this definition, one can never be sure if "2006-08-23"^^xsd:date is
equal to "2006-08-23Z"^^xsd:date or "2006-08-23+00:00"^^xsd:date, so
Sesame currently does not consider these dates to be equal (sample data
from test date-1).

My question to you: is my understanding of the specification incorrect,
or should these test cases be modified/rejected? Hope you can shed some
light on this.