open-world/data-n tests incorrect?

From: Arjohn Kampman <arjohn.kampman@aduna-software.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:34:01 +0200
To: public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org

Dear working group,

I'm currently evaluating Sesame's compliance against the current set of
approved sparql test cases. Sesame fails on the openworld/date-1 and
date-2 tests, but I'm not 100% that Sesame is in error here. Sesame and
the test cases treat comparisons between timezoned and non-timezoned
dates differently. My reading of the XML Schema Datatypes spec is that
timezoned and non-timezoned dates cannot simply be compared to
oneanother, but this is exactly what the test cases do. Quoting section
3.2.7.4:

   "dateTime value objects on either timeline are totally ordered by
   their timeOnTimeline values; between the two timelines, dateTime value
   objects are ordered by their timeOnTimeline values when their
   timeOnTimeline values differ by more than fourteen hours, with those
   whose difference is a duration of 14 hours or less being
   incomparable." -- http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime-order

With this definition, one can never be sure if "2006-08-23"^^xsd:date is
equal to "2006-08-23Z"^^xsd:date or "2006-08-23+00:00"^^xsd:date, so
Sesame currently does not consider these dates to be equal (sample data
from test date-1).

My question to you: is my understanding of the specification incorrect,
or should these test cases be modified/rejected? Hope you can shed some
light on this.

Arjohn