Re: [OK?] Re: comments on "SPARQL Query Language for RDF"

From: Enrico Franconi <franconi@inf.unibz.it>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:57:37 +0200
Cc: "Peter F.Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
On 22 Mar 2006, at 18:19, Dan Connolly wrote:

>>> This is a claim, not a theorem (with proof).
>>
>> Sure :-)
>> Stay tuned for the explicit proof.
>
> Enrico, you do not mean to imply that the RDF Data Access Working
> Group
> plans to deliver a proof, do you? I'm not aware of any such plans.
>
> Please keep in mind that this public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org mailing
> list is a place for responses on behalf of the RDF Data Access Working
> Group; it's best to be very clear when you're acting not on behalf
> of the WG but on your own behalf, lest readers get the wrong
> impression.

I personally believe that whatever I write, or subscribe to, should
be provably correct - as a general rule of my public working life.

That's also why I believe that it is a terrible mistake pretending
from a body meant to produce standards (like the W3C-DAWG) to do
novel research, and to pretend to standardise the outcome of such
research.
In fact, the mechanisms of a body whose purpose is to produce
standards are about creating consensus by means of votes, or by means
of 'empirical' evidence (the infamous test-cases), to reach a
"standard" (or recommendation or whatever). These mechanisms are
clearly inadequate for the kind of job that eventually the DAWG
undertook, and I am surprised - among other things - that the W3C
didn't realise this yet.
I am also shocked that the members of the WG didn't ask for a proof
earlier, and that they are ready to subscribe something of which they
don't have (apparently) a clear evidence.

--e.