Re: Comment: don't use ? and $. Pick one. [OK?]

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:11:08 -0600
To: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Cc: public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 18:56 -0500, Elliotte Harold wrote:
> If there's a justification for using both $ and ? to represent
> variables, I haven't found it yet.

The WG made that choice in the course of resolving the
punctuationSyntax issue.

A number of design considerations were laid out in:
Draft: open issues around '?' use.

>  I haven't finished reading the spec
> yet, so I could be missing it; but just looking at the BNF, I don't
> think there's any significant difference.

Indeed, there is none.

> If this is true, then I strongly urge the working group to pick one.
> personally I prefer the dollar sign. It's not a reserved character in
> URLs and it's already used to indicate variables in other languages such
> as PHP. However this isn't a strong preference. I could certainly live
> with a question mark.
> However I feel having too makes the language pointlessly complex, much
> harder to read, and harder to learn. It increases the size of the spec,
> increases the size and complexity of the grammar, and reserves an extra
> character that must now be avoided. Please pick one or the other. Flip a
> coin if you have to, but please don't use both.

We did try to pick one, but only found consensus in allowing both.

At this point in the process, I would need considerably more information
in order to ask the WG to re-consider this aspec of the design. I'm
pretty sure we discussed those considerations.

> Please treat this as an official last call comment and file a resolution
> in disposition of last call comments. Thank you.

We dispose of last call comments in email like this one.
Please let us know whether you're satisfied with this response.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E