A question about the str( ) function on IRI

From: Lu Jing <robert_lu00@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:56:33 +0900
To: public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org

I believe this is a trivial question, but it did confuse me for a long
time.  In the Section 11.4 "Operators Definitions", the description for
str() says "returns the codepoint representation of rsrc (an IRI).".  I
think the "codepoint" means the code of characters, in non-negative
integers.  So I wonder why the "codepoint" is used here.  Also, I think
some of the readers (include me) may think if the result of
str(<mailto:alice@work.example>) is "<mailto:alice@work.example>", but not
"mailto:alice@work.example".  Unfortunately, the following example uses a
regex function to test the value, so that it can not be used to distinguish
the above two possibilities. (Although I believe that the answer should be