Use Case for DESCRIBE

From: Axel Rauschmayer <axel@rauschma.de>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 22:20:14 +0100
To: public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org

Hi!

The following looks like a use case for DESCRIBE. If it is then my
vote is in favor of making DESCRIBE part of the basic SPARQL standard:
- In an RDF editor I'm currently implementing, there is a view that
shows all the resources in an RDF graph.
- Per resource, it lists the types of the resource, the rdfs:label
and the "tags" (which are similar types, but with the tag pointing to
the tagged entity and not the other way around).
- The problem is that the data returned is NFNF. Accordingly,
implementing this using any of the table-based result mechanisms
(that I am aware of) is very clumsy. Ordering can help, but
needlessly decreases performance and there still has to be some kind
of grouping afterwards. Furthermore, users will want to sort the
result in the view by rdfs:label.

Greetings,

Axel

--