FILTER evaluation problem

From: Jorge Pérez <jperez@utalca.cl>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:15:02 -0400
To: public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org

I think that the evaluation of the following query is not clear

PREFIX : <http://ing.utalca.cl/~jperez/research/rdf/>
SELECT *
FROM :sample1.rdf
WHERE {
  ?A :name ?N .
  OPTIONAL { ?A :email ?E . FILTER ( bound(?W) ) } .
  OPTIONAL { ?A :webPage ?W  }
}

Are there some restrictions about the variables that may be used in a FILTER
expression? The query appears to be syntanctically correct but, because the
OPTIONAL is left associative it is not clear (not for me) how to evaluate the
FILTER. Note that the problem has nothing to do with the use of bound, every
filter expression in this position that uses ?W would cause a similar problem.
The problem is originated because the associative rules induce
an "incremental" form of evaluation from "left to right" and in the filter
exprresion appears a variable that has not been named yet in the query.

If the OPTIONAL were not left associative then I think that the evaluation
would give (informally) "the name of the persons, optionally the email for
those who have web page, and optionally the web page"....

- Jorge

Este mensaje fue enviado por: http://webmail.utalca.cl