Re: SPARQL: BASE IRI resolution

* Dan Connolly wrote:
>> I am not comfortable with the "abbreviation mechanism", see e.g.
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2004Jan/0009.html for why.
>
>There I see Fielding answering some questions about URI references.
>I don't see anything that should make one uncomfortable. Please
>elaborate or be more specific?

  The effect of this change, when implemented, has no impact on the
  protocol *except* when a person is deliberately abusing the base
  URI by assigning it an unrelated URI for the purpose of creating
  an artificial shorthand notation for external references.

If you have a SVG document at http://foo.example.org/ with

  <svg:g xml:base='http://bar.example.org/d.png'>
    <svg:image xlink:href='a.png' ... /><!--bar.example.org/a.png-->
    <svg:image xlink:href='b.png' ... /><!--bar.example.org/b.png-->
    <svg:image xlink:href='c.png' ... /><!--bar.example.org/c.png-->
    <svg:image xlink:href='d.png' ... /><!--same document-->
  </svg:g>

the document would be in error as the same document reference is not
allowed; base resource identifiers therefore are not simply some kind
of "abbreviation mechanism".

>No; it just re-states 5.1.4 "If none of the conditions described
>above apply, then the base URI is defined by the context of
>the application."

What about 5.1.2 and 5.1.3? It seems that this redundant part should
either be removed or more clearly state that all of 5.1 must be con-
sidered when resolving relative resource identifier references.