Re: Comments on SPARQL Query Language for RDF (21 July 2005 version)

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:37:44 -0400
To: public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org
Dan Connolly wrote (in response to Nokia's comment):

>  3) It does not seem possible to extend SPARQL to be
>  used with OWL (primarily, perhaps, because of comment
>  #1 above).

A number of WG members (UMD, Agfa) are succesfully using SPARQL
with OWL.

UMD is not willing to be listed as claiming that we are successfully
using SPARQL with OWL.
   We are implementing numerous OWL based tools and making them
coexist with OWL, but that is quite a different thing.   I do not see
that SPARQL gets us anything more significant in the OWL space than
the RDF graph queries for data or from the specific graphs that OWL
represents.  However, that is a long way from "successfully using
SPARQL with OWL" and, as the SPARQL spec has evolved we have
considerably scaled back our expectations of the what SPARQL will do
for us.
  We have continued to support the design of SPARQL because we do a
significant amount of work with respect to RDF triplestores and we
very much want to do distributed triple store linking, but we do not
consider SPARQL to be very useful for OWL as per Nokia's comments.
  -JH
--
Professor James Hendler			  Director
Joint Institute for Knowledge Discovery	 	  301-405-2696