Re: Comments on SPARQL (editorial)

Dan Connolly wrote:
> [moving from WG list public-rdf-dawg@w3.org, to comments list
> public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org ]
>
> On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 09:17 -0700, Ashok Malhotra wrote:
>
>>Notes on SPARQL Query Language for RDF
>>W3C Working Draft 17 February 2005
>

> i.e. http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-rdf-sparql-query-20050217/
>
> note that there's a newer one...
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-rdf-sparql-query-20050419/
>

>>The document uses a describe-by-examples style.  This is easy to understand
 >>but can give the impression that the language is more restrictive than it is.
 >>For example, as you read section 2 you get the impression that only exact
 >>matches are supported.  Only much later do you find out that, in fact,
 >>functions and operators are also supported.   Additional wording could
 >>be used to distinguish examples from the grammar.
>

> I don't know if that comment is obsoleted by the newer spec; I'll let
> the editors follow up.

The later working draft (19 April 2005) includes the text in the second
paragraph of section 2:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-rdf-sparql-query-20050419/#basicpatterns
"""
Later sections describe how other graph patterns can be built using the graph
operators OPTIONAL and UNION, be grouped together and also how queries can
extract information from more than one graph. It is also possible to restrict
the values allowed in matching a pattern.
"""

I hope this addresses your comment.

	Andy