W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org > March 2005

Re: SPARQL Protocol and Unicode characters

From: Arjohn Kampman <arjohn.kampman@aduna.biz>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:18:29 +0100
Message-ID: <4236C485.8030805@aduna.biz>
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org, Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>

Dan Connolly wrote:
> Eric, the draft I put together a week or so handled this...
> or rather, I found the relevant part of XForms that handles
> it...
> 
> "Encoding Queries
> A service target IRI[IRI] t is combined with a SPARQL query string qs
> using the conventional encoding, using query as the parameter name. The
> exact algorithm for encoding the query is given in section 11.6
> Serialization as application/x-www-form-urlencoded of [XForms] and the
> algorithm for combining the encoded parameters with t is given in
> section 11.9 The get Submit Method.
> "
>  -- http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/prot26
> 
> On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 04:10:58PM +0100, Arjohn Kampman wrote:
> 
>>Dear all,
>>
>>The SPARQL Protocol as described at [1] suggests that SPARQL queries are 
>>going to be sent over the line as simple www-urlencoded strings. I would
>>like to point out that we have tried this approach in Sesame and that it
>>fails to handle multi-byte characters properly [2]. Main reason for this
>>is that the used %xx patterns cannot encode any byte values larger than
>>255.
> 
> 
> The algorithm is, in a nutshell:
>   1. encode in utf-8
>   2. %xx-lify
> 
> So it does handle all unicode characters.

A had a quick look at this document (2005/02/27 version). The added
"Encoding Queries" section seems to fully address the issue I raised.
Thanks.

Arjohn

-- 
arjohn.kampman@aduna.biz
Aduna BV - http://aduna.biz/
Prinses Julianaplein 14-b, 3817 CS Amersfoort, The Netherlands
tel. +31-(0)33-4659987  fax. +31-(0)33-4659987
Received on Tuesday, 15 March 2005 11:18:30 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:14:48 GMT