Re: Blank Nodes and SPARQL

From: Ron Alford <ronwalf@umd.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:55:10 -0400
To: "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org>
CC: "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org, Amy Alford <aloomis@glue.umd.edu>
Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 10:04:19PM -0400, Ron Alford wrote:
>>After consulting with the lab, we have decided that the namespace
>>splitting proposal (_!:...) is the best way to deal with the use cases
>>that have been brought up.
> Given that the grammar does not assign any conflicting meaning to
> _!:..., would postponing this to SPARQL 2 acceptable?
> Before you answer, allow me to lead the question a little: none of the
> query languages we surveyed have this capability.

Serql has the capability now, and apparently Jena has had api solution
involving prebinding (not sure how long this has been around).

When we first started this conversation, I was in agreement with you -
that if we found a non-conflicting solution that it would be enough to
postpone it until SPARQL 2.  However, during the course of the
discussion I've seen enough incompatible ideas already in use that I
think a consensus on the issue would be a very Good Thing.