SPARQL Protocol and Unicode characters

From: Arjohn Kampman <arjohn.kampman@aduna.biz>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:10:58 +0100
To: public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org

Dear all,

The SPARQL Protocol as described at [1] suggests that SPARQL queries are
going to be sent over the line as simple www-urlencoded strings. I would
like to point out that we have tried this approach in Sesame and that it
fails to handle multi-byte characters properly [2]. Main reason for this
is that the used %xx patterns cannot encode any byte values larger than
255.

In Sesame, we "solved" this issue by switching to multipart/form-data
encoded POST requests. Main drawback of this solution is that we use
POST-requests all the time, even when GET-requests would be more
natural. Another option would be to enforce an UTF-8 characters-to-
octets mapping to the query before adding it as a parameter value.

Hope you can use this feedback to improve the protocol.

Regards,

Arjohn Kampman

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-protocol/
[2] http://www.openrdf.org/issues/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=SES-84