Re: On Requirement 3.8 (Bookmarkable Queries)

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 05:14:12PM -0400, massimo@w3.org wrote:

> On Requirement 3.8 (Bookmarkable Queries), cf.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-rdf-dawg-uc-20040602/#r3.8 ,
> a question of clarification:
> Does "express as a URI" means a new class of URIs will
> be created? Or does it rather mean "embeddable in a URI"
>
> Obviously the first interpretation (esp. as a MUST) is
> rather demanding. In the case of the first interpretation,
> given the costs of creating a new URI scheme, what is
> the rationale/benefit of going with the new URI scheme
> rather than with the classic container approach?

I'm not speaking for the original proposer of this requirement, but
the understanding of the WG (which I think I understand and can
represent) is "embeddable in an HTTP URI". No one on the WG has
suggested we register a new URI scheme.

There is an outstanding ACTION item to rework 3.8 to remove this
ambiguity.

Kendall Clark