Re: Multiple storage of the same RDF relationship

Gary,

The formal specification of RDF says:

"The core structure of the abstract syntax is a set of triples, each consisting of a subject, a predicate and an object. A set of such triples is called an RDF graph."[1]

Ie, conceptually, adding the same triple twice does not change the RDF graph. In practice what this means is that an RDF environment should (and for all environment I know of, does) check, when adding a triple, whether a specific triple is already present in the graph and, if so, the new/old triple is silently ignored.

You are probably right that the primer does not emphasize this point…

Sincerely

Ivan Herman

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/

> On 26 Jun 2015, at 04:32 , Gary Sharp <gsharp@mindbase.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am a business consultant and often make recommendations regarding software technologies. I have a questions regarding the issue of storing the same RDF relationship more than once. When multiple people at different times enter RDF relationships in the same body of RDF relationships, they can unknowingly add the same RDF relationship more than once. I cannot find anything in your primer that refers to multiple storage of the same RDF relationship within one body of RDF storage. Perhaps I just over looked something. Does the primer or other documents discuss this issue with rules or recommendations for allowing or not allowing multiple storage of the same RDF relationship? Are there techniques that will disclose the saving of a RDF relationship that is already saved in a body of RDF relationships?
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> Gary Sharp
> Better Business Solutions
> 14710 Lucy Drive