Re: RDF 1.1 Semantics: LV and typo

Hi:

This is an unofficial reply.

LV is mostly around in the 1.1 semantics to provide a link back to the LV in the older semantics.  It could be removed without any trouble.

However, LV is not defined circularly.  LV is defined in terms of ICEXT, I, and rdfs:Literal.

ICEXT is defined just above, and that definition uses IEXT, I and rdf:type.

IEXT is part of every interpretation.

I is defined in the semantic conditions for ground graphs.  For IRIs, I is defined in terms of IS, which is part of every interpretation.

So, no circularity.

Defining LV as you suggest would have some interesting consequences.   You would be able to reason that a literal value (an arbitrary element of LV) is one of the literals that you can enter.  I don't think that you can conclude anything from this in RDF, but in OWL you can.

You should think of IC and IV simply as shorthands.  They can be replaced everywhere in the current semantics by their definitions, ICEXT(I(rdfs:Class)) and ICEXT(I(rdfs:Literal), respectively.

peter

PS:  If you want the tyop to be noticed officially you should probably send in a separate message to that effect.