Re: Converting RDF to JSON-LD : shared lists between graphs

On 7/23/14 6:46 AM, Dan Brickley wrote:
>> How so?  It seems to me that there is an inherent tension between being nice
>> >to RDF consumers (by using URIs for things that other might want to refer
>> >to, as AWWW recommends) and author convenience, which leads to bnode use.
> Yes, that's a real tension, although bnodes are just one aspect. My
> point was to question the "clearly" in  "the use of blank nodes
> clearly violates the web architectural good practice that anything of
> importance should be given a URI". Using bnodes is consistent with the
> things the bnodes represent having URIs, so nothing is violated. The
> reason btw we renamed them "bnodes" instead of the earlier (1997-2000
> e.g.http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-identity-anon-resources)
> phrase "anonymous nodes" was this point: the things are not anonymous
> / nameless. Only particular descriptions of them.

+1

Using pronouns (from natural language) to explain the nature of blank
nodes helps a lot.

Over the years there's been a tendency to tag vital aspects of RDF as
bad, for a variety of reasons that always boil down to assuming that
users (end-users and developers) can't figure this stuff out. In my
experience, a little flexibility on the narrative and anecdotes front
can leads to clarity, appreciation, and adoption.

Here are two important aspects of RDF that typically end up being
labeled as problematic:

[1] blank nodes -- pronouns
[2] statement reification -- statements are things too!

The items above enable important bridging across:

1. Open Data -- basic structured data
2. Linked Open Data -- structured data constructed using Linked (Open)
Data principles
3. Semantically enhanced Linked Open Data -- structured data constructed
using RDFS, OWL, etc., in conjunction with Linked Open Data principles.

In most cases, rather than reification, RDF user agents will leverage
blank nodes as objects of relations that associate embedded structured
data with their container documents.

Example:

[1]
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/id/entity/http/thenextweb.com/apple/2014/07/23/apple-release-information-ios-response-claims-backdoor-data-collection/
-- Statements are reified en route to creating an RDF based Linked Data
document that's close to self-explanatory re. follow-your-nose pattern

[2] http://bit.ly/rdf-statement-reficiation-fyn  -- alternative view for
deeper follow-your-nose exploration

[3] https://twitter.com/thalhamm/status/471994633573380096 -- tweet
about blank node use that's also a segue to a usecase demo.

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO