Re: Plain literals in Canonical N-triples

On Dec 29, 2014, at 12:52 PM, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:

> P.S. Or to put it differently, it would be harmful if anyone interpreted the existing ambiguity to be intentional.

Well, there is no actual ambiguity. In RDF 1.1, the datatype of plain literals (without a language tag) is xsd:string, unambiguously. That type URI appears explictly in the RDF 1.1 abstract (graph) syntax, unambiguously. But the RDF specs do not define all possible surface syntaxes for RDF, and they explicitly allow a surface syntax to omit the xsd:string typing URI as a form of syntactic sugar, since it is implied in all cases, so its omission does not introduce any ambiguity.

Pat