Re: [RESOLVED] reminder: ack needed Re: Problem with Hash based Linked Data URIs

It's a pitty, given the huge amount of time the discussion on http-range-14
has taken up that this an issue of interaction with SPARQL would stand in the way
of thinking about this more clearly.

On 20 Nov 2013, at 17:25, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> On 18 Nov 2013, at 23:19, Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 2, I sent the attached message as a formal working group
>> response to a comment you sent to the RDF comments WG. Please review
>> the attached messgae and reply with the Subject prefixed with
>> "[RESOLVED]" if it addresses your comment.
>>
>> --
>> -ericP
>>
>> office: +1.617.599.3509
>> mobile: +33.6.80.80.35.59
>>
>> (eric@w3.org)
>> Feel free to forward this message to any list for any purpose other than
>> email address distribution.
>>
>> There are subtle nuances encoded in font variation and clever layout
>> which can only be seen by printing this message on high-clay paper.
>> From: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>
>> Subject: Re: Problem with Hash based Linked Data URIs
>> Date: 2 November 2013 14:27:28 CET
>> To: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
>> Cc: Mo McRoberts <Mo.McRoberts@bbc.co.uk>, Adrian Gschwend <ktk@netlabs.org>, "public-webid@w3.org Group" <public-webid@w3.org>, "public-rdf-comments@w3.org" <public-rdf-comments@w3.org>
>>

>> * Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> [2013-02-16 16:27+0100]

>>> I don' think that quite locates the problem at the right place.
>>> It would be completely feasible to have one #uri per vocabulary element, each at
>>> a different location. For example all of DBPedias resource URIs could just return
>>> the content inside so one could have
>>>
>>>   http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey#x
>>>
>>> defined by
>>>
>>>   http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey
>>>
>>> That would have the advantage of required half the requests on DBPedia to get
>>> the information. The only problem I see with that is a syntactic one. I sent
>>> this to the WebArch and RDF-Comments group as a mail and RDF group in November,
>>> but got no  answer there yet
>>>
>>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-comments/2012Nov/0009.html
>>>
>>> I suppose one would need to propose a solution to the problem.
>>> Something allong the lines of requesting a new @prefix in Turtle
>>> so that one could write:
>>>
>>> @pre db: ("http://dbpedia.org/resource/" _ "#x")
>>>
>>> This would allow one then to have
>>>
>>> :j :likes db:Whiskey .
>>>
>>> which would be equivalent to
>>>
>>> :j :likes <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Whiskey#x> .
>>

>> The RDF Working Group has considered the utility of your proposal
>> against the added complexity stemming from the new directive. We feel
>> it is better to stay compatible with SPARQL and let users take
>> advantage of the new PN_LOCAL_ESCą feature permitting one to embed '#'
>> in a localhost name after an escape character, e.g.  db.Whiskey\#x .
>> (You referred to this feature in your followup message.)
>>
>> If you are satisfied with this response, please reply with a Subject:
>> starting with "[RESOLVED]".

>>> My guess is that you don't need these redirects in fact. But anyway, as far as WebID
>>> goes the point is pretty moot, since as you point out below:

> [...]

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/