Re: Fwd: RDF/JSON

On 05/01/2013 09:23 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 4/30/13 7:21 PM, Peter Ansell wrote:
>>
>> I am amazed that the JSON-LD developers feel threatened enough by
>> RDF/JSON to be putting up a fuss about it possibly being a recognised
>> format by the W3C. If True Web developers prefer JSON-LD then they can
>> start off by using that once it gets out their, but it shouldn't stop
>> the standardisation of Yet Another RDF Format just because it can be
>> parsed using the same family of parsers.
> RDF/JSON and JSON-LD should be given equal billing by the W3C. Picking
> winners is a shortcut to politically induced inertia, every time.
>>
>> Luckily RDF/JSON is already complete enough (and simple to understand
>> for people wanting to work with RDF triples) that it can be useful for
>> groups of developers whether the W3C decides to push it through or not.
>
> Yes, but the W3C should apply the "wisdom of Solomon" here by not
> picking winners.

I disagree.  The explicit goal of standardization is to pick a winner --
to *reduce* the choices -- because fragmentation is harmful to the
community.

If two JSON-based RDF serialization standards served significantly
different use cases then it would make sense to have both, and the
differences should be publicized so that users can figure out which to
use when.  But AFAICT the use cases for RDF/JSON and JSON-LD overlap
*substantially*: both can be used for serializing both RDF that follows
the Linked Data conventions and RDF that does not.

I do *not* believe that there is a substantial difference in the way
programmers want to access and manipulate RDF that follows the Linked
Data conventions versus RDF that does not.  In one case the URIs are
sometimes dereferenced; in the other they're not.  Big deal.  But there
*is* a substantial difference between working with the data only at the
syntactic (JSON) level, and working with it at the RDF triple level.
That difference has *nothing* to do with Linked Data versus non-Linked
Data.

David