Re: Fwd: The need for RDF in Linked Data

On 6/17/13 1:34 AM, David Booth wrote:
> If the term Linked Data is "hijacked" by a broader population
> to mean *any* sort of data that is linked -- not necessarily
> RDF -- then this will be a major loss to the Semantic Web
> community, because it is very hard to come up with simple ways
> to communicate the essence of the Semantic Web.  The Linked
> Data meme has been extremely helpful.  If the RDF component
> is lost, we will have lost the best meme we have ever had for
> explaining the Semantic Web.`
>
> David
>
> [Followup to semantic-web@w3.org please]
David,

It's possible to debate a matter without unnecessary use of inflammatory
language. I would happily debate you any day about this subject matter,
but I struggle with your choice of words.

Have you considered that "hijacked" is utterly unnecessary in this
debate? Irrespective of who might be right or wrong, nobody is trying to
hijack anything. Put differently, can you make a convincing case against
that fact that by inserting RDF -- in immutable form -- into the Linked
Data conversation (retrospectively) it could also be perceived by some
as hijacking?

If you recall, your fundamental thesis is predicated on the notion that
it took TimBL 3 years (between 2006 and 2009) to realize that he was
inarticulate about RDF in all his prior Linked Data related memes.

 From the perspective of the RDF group and JSON-LD, Peter makes a much
clearer and less incendiary point i.e., if JSON-LD seeks to be a
recommendation of the RDF workgroup then it should reflect that fact in
a manner satisfactory to the group. That's 100% achievable without
conflating RDF and Linked Data.

I encourage you to look at the real issue here which has very little to
do with "hijacking" and everything to do with the JSON-LD group
accepting the fact that the RDF working group do have justifiable sway
in determining the shape and form of any output that's its supposed to
be recommending. That's just plain common sense !

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO