Re: JSON-LD/RDF feedback

On 6/13/13 11:16 AM, Gregg Reynolds wrote:
> ... from a Concerned Citizen.  For what it's worth, I'm quite familiar
> with RDF but have not been following the various relevant WGs for some
> time and only just got around to reading the JSON-LD draft, mainly
> because I happened to notice the recent discussion about whether RDF
> should or should not be mentioned etc., so I'll regale you with my
> impressions in hopes they might be useful.
>
> [P.S.  It turns out I have a specific idea for satisfying both pro-
> and anti-RDF camps, see below.]
>
> First impression:  where's the RDF?  I was expecting to see something
> in the non-normative sections explaining or demonstrating how JSON-LD
> maps to RDF or vice-versa.  Instead all I find is what amounts to a
> couple of footnotes.  Which would have left me perplexed - what is
> this beast? - had I not seen the discussion about RDF phobia etc.
>
> Example 1:
> {
>    "name": "Manu Sporny",
>    "homepage": "http://manu.sporny.org/",
>    "image": "http://manu.sporny.org/images/manu.png"
> }
> "It's obvious to humans that the data is about a person whose name is
> 'Manu Sporny'..."
>
> This is plainly a false claim.  I see a set of three ordered pairs,
> and I see no reason whatsoever to think that such a set is "about"
> anything.  If I'm told that it is about something and am asked to
> guess what, there's a pretty good chance that "a person named 'Manu
> Sporny'" is the last thing that would come to mind.  It seems much
> more likely that I (in my "Everyman" hat) would say it's about the
> homepage or the image of said Manu.  On the other hand, knowing about
> RDF as I do, I see why the claim was made.  Which strongly suggests
> that RDF is after all central to JSON-LD.
>
> And this is the crux of the matter: it's all about aboutness.  More on
> this below.
>
> I also expected to see some kind of translation from JSON-LD
> expressions to triples and found it annoying that this was not the
> case, since it left me continually wondering if I was
> misunderstanding.  After all, if it's supposed to "work" for RDF, but
> it pointedly excludes talk of RDF, well, maybe it's supposed to be
> something else - what?  In other words, omission of RDF-talk is not
> just an expression of accomodation the the RDF-phobes, it's an
> expression of (mild) hostility to RDF-philes.  At least that's how I
> take it.
>
> Another thing that jumped out at me: @type.  Is that rdf:type?  Sure
> seems like it ought to be but I can't really tell without spending
> time and energy analyzing. Seems to me the spec ought to save me the
> trouble by explicitly describing how the JSON-LD stuff relates to the
> RDF stuff.
>
> There are a number of typos, grammatical errors etc. that I'll list in
> a separate message.
>
> More generally, in light of the LD v. RDF struggle: I get the distinct
> [...]
Gregg,

To qualify a few things about statements such as RDF != Linked Data in
association with de-reference, I would like to qualify a few things.

Web-like Structured Data Representation:

TimBL's meme outlined a principled approach structured data
representation that results in a Data Web or Web-like structured data,
courtesy of HTTP URIs. This approach makes the Web-like structured data
scale to the expanse of the scale-free Web.

In his original meme [1] he indicated that this principled approach
enables one to look-up what an HTTP URI denotes, while also indicating
to publishes that useful information should be accessible from the
look-up location.

In the revised meme [2] he added "using standards (RDF, SPARQL). This
introduced the problem of using words that mean different things to
different audiences which I break down as follows (un-pejoratively):

1. RDFers -- RDF and Linked Data (this thing with appreciative momentum)
are now inextricably linked, we'll show them now!

2. RDF-Refluxers -- Linked Data is just a re-branding of RDF, they think
we are stupid!

3. Independents -- WTF! (pardon my French, but I want to signal as
effectively as possible in this response).

In reality, bearing in mind my proximity to TimBL re. these matters of
Linked Data, I genuinely believe he meant (but of course I do not speak
for him):

Use standards such as RDF and SAPRQL as an effective (productive) way to
provide really useful information when HTTP URIs (as outlined in this
note) are looked-up. In reality, when you get round to implementing
Linked Data (as a publisher) all you have to do is redirect user agent
URI look-up requests to a SPARQL protocol URL which leaves the heavy
lifting to a SPARQL processor (which may or may not be a full blown DBMS
engine).

As for this whole JSON-LD and RDF affair, there is one subtle detail
that makes matters more challenging. JSON-LD is seeking to be published
as a deliverable from the RDF group. In taking the aforementioned route,
many of the RDF related push-backs become much more understandable.

Anyway, here are some links for additional context re. my comments re.
Linked Data as Web-like structured data:

1. http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/diagrams/history/proposal-fig1.gif --
illustration from original Web design document (this is clearly
depicting a Data Web woven together via the typed relations illustrated
as connections/connectors)

2. http://www.w3.org/2005/Talks/1110-iswc-tbl/#(4) -- that's Linked Data 101

3. http://www.w3.org/2005/Talks/1110-iswc-tbl/#(7) -- URIs + HTTP (this
is makes Data Web-like)

4. http://dig.csail.mit.edu/2007/Talks/0511-tab-tbl/#(10) -- Linked Data
(again, clearly defined and distinct from RDF).

Inserting Logic into Linked Data (i.e., taking it from our "minds eye"
to a Data Web accessible to humans and machines) is where RDF kicks in,
with aplomb.

Unfortunately, due to issues associated with OWL misconceptions
compounded by RDF/XML dominating OWL examples, many RDFers are reluctant
to utter the words "inference" or "reasoning" since they assume those
are the issues that scare folks. A current example of that is easily
discernible form some of the longer threads on the W3C's LDP list.

Pat Hayes gave a very nice presentation on Blogic [1] that puts this
issue of Logic and Data Webs in scope.

Links:

1. http://slidesha.re/18CtxGK -- Blogic
2. http://videolectures.net/iswc09_hayes_blogic/ -- What's in a Link?