Re: The tone of the "JSON-LD vs. RDF" debate (was re: Sub-issue on the re-definition of Linked Data)

On 06/12/2013 04:10 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 6/12/13 3:04 PM, David Booth wrote:

>>> "..However, JSON-LD was also designed to be usable as RDF.."
>>>
>>> What does that mean?
>>>
>>> How is something usable as RDF?
>>>
>>> Let's try this then:
>>>
>>>    JSON-LD was designed to be usable by developers as idiomatic JSON,
>>>    with no need to understand RDF [RDF11-CONCEPTS]. However, people
>>> intending to use
>>>    JSON-LD with RDF tools will find it can be used like any other
>>>    RDF syntax. Complete details of how JSON-LD relates to RDF are in
>>>    C. Relationship to RDF.
>>>
>>> Change:
>>>
>>> I removed "JSON-LD was also designed to be usable as RDF, so"
>>
>> -1
>>
>> That makes it unclear that JSON-LD is RDF.
>>
>> David
>>

> David,
>
> Your position is understood re., the minuses. Thus, I would kindly ask
> you to let others digest what I've outlined below so that they can
> figure out how to fix the concerns outlined. The rest of this mail
> simply puts things together so that others don't have to crawl through a
> growing thread.
>

> Original:
>
> JSON-LD was designed to be usable by developers as idiomatic JSON,
> with no need to understand RDF [RDF11-CONCEPTS]. However, JSON-LD
> was also designed to be usable as RDF, so people intending to use
> JSON-LD with RDF tools will find it can be used like any other
> RDF syntax. Complete details of how JSON-LD relates to RDF are in
> C. Relationship to RDF.
>
> Concern:
>
> What does "usable as RDF" mean? Bearing in mind that RDF is a framework
> i.e., the Resource Description Framework.
>
> I suspect it could mean that JSON-LD can be used as a Resource
> Description Framework?

Would it be clearer if that sentence were phrased in the exact same way
that the first sentence is phrased?  "JSON-LD was also designed to be
usable by developers as idiomatic RDF, so . . . ."

> My suggested alternative wording, assuming the goal isn't to state that
> JSON-LD can be used as a Resource Description Framework:

But the point of that sentence is to be clear that JSON-LD can be used
as RDF, just as it can be used as JSON.

David