Re: The tone of the "JSON-LD vs. RDF" debate (was re: Sub-issue on the re-definition of Linked Data)

On 6/12/13 3:04 PM, David Booth wrote:

> On 06/12/2013 02:09 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 6/12/13 2:04 PM, David Booth wrote:
>>> On 06/12/2013 01:27 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>>> [ . . . ]

>>> -1
>>>
>>> "compatible with RDF" wrongly suggests that JSON-LD is *not* RDF.
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>> "..However, JSON-LD was also designed to be usable as RDF.."
>>
>> What does that mean?
>>
>> How is something usable as RDF?
>>
>> Let's try this then:
>>
>>    JSON-LD was designed to be usable by developers as idiomatic JSON,
>>    with no need to understand RDF [RDF11-CONCEPTS]. However, people
>> intending to use
>>    JSON-LD with RDF tools will find it can be used like any other
>>    RDF syntax. Complete details of how JSON-LD relates to RDF are in
>>    C. Relationship to RDF.
>>
>> Change:
>>
>> I removed "JSON-LD was also designed to be usable as RDF, so"
>
> -1
>
> That makes it unclear that JSON-LD is RDF.
>
> David

David,

Your position is understood re., the minuses. Thus, I would kindly ask
you to let others digest what I've outlined below so that they can
figure out how to fix the concerns outlined. The rest of this mail
simply puts things together so that others don't have to crawl through a
growing thread.

Original:

JSON-LD was designed to be usable by developers as idiomatic JSON,
with no need to understand RDF [RDF11-CONCEPTS]. However, JSON-LD
was also designed to be usable as RDF, so people intending to use
JSON-LD with RDF tools will find it can be used like any other
RDF syntax. Complete details of how JSON-LD relates to RDF are in
C. Relationship to RDF.

Concern:

What does "usable as RDF" mean? Bearing in mind that RDF is a framework
i.e., the Resource Description Framework.

I suspect it could mean that JSON-LD can be used as a Resource
Description Framework?

My suggested alternative wording, assuming the goal isn't to state that

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO